When married couples separate they have recourse to financial remedies but the same does not apply to couples who choose to live together without marrying and despite the often heard misconception that Common Law Marriage exists, this is not the case.


Co-habitee’s have limited legal recourse upon separation which can lead to financial difficulties if they have not planned for their financial security when setting up home together.


The period of co-habitation may be lengthy and the partnership may have produced children, but one party may find themselves in a situation where they are homeless and have become financially dependant on the other and limited means to support themselves.


Couples can enter into co-habitation agreements before or after they have moved in together which can set out how their property and financial matters are dealt with both during the co-habitation and upon separation. 


Child maintenance is usually dealt with by the Child Maintenance Service but there are limited circumstances where a claim can be made in respect of the children such as for school fees, financial support for children with a disability and top up maintenance for high income earners.


For Issues such as who the children live with and contact with the non-resident parent, please contact us.


Co-habitation agreements.


If you would like more information on co-habitation agreements please contact us confidentially by calling 03301 333 862. or email jane@janechandlerfamilylaw.co.uk.

Cohabitation Agreement